<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://thedavidmanly.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
The definitive host: Fluidity of Thought

The definitive host

de·fin·i·tive host (duh-fin'eh-tiv) n. 1) An organism where a parasite undergoes the adult and sexual stages of its reproductive cycle 2) Someone you go to for interesting stories and/or facts, and puts on one hell of a dinner party 3) This blog, devoted to science and other geeky subjects

Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Fluidity of Thought




Sorry its been so long since my last post..... its been a very interesting week. However, I have still decided to put new posts up, to keep y'all updated on my thoughts.

Earlier today, I was thinking about the works of Mr. Salvador Dali. I am not a big art person, but I like stuff that makes you think or is slightly different every way you look at it. I have been a fan of Mr. Dali for many years, and even have a poster of a famous painting of his in my room, the persistence of memory. Take a look at the picture above: What do you see? What do the various images mean?

In my opinion, the melting clocks appear to represent the fluidity of time, as well as the unpredictability of its movement and effects. What do the flies on the pocket watch mean? Personally, I think this references the 'hive' mentality of society to follow the rigid structure known as 'time'. Lastly, to leave some things for other people's opinions, what does the white 'log' appear to resemble? A woman's face? A man? A dead seal?
Art is subjective, no one is right and nobody is wrong. If you can explain it, then you're opinion matters.

After my foray into the world of art, let's dip our toes into the written word. As most of you know, I am an AVID reader. I am always reading a new book, or one of my old favourites. I have read every genre imaginable, but my favourite lies with horror. I love Stephen King, I believe he is masterful; a true word smith. My favourite book penned by him is: The Stand. It deals with a large plague wiping out 98% of human life, and those that survive fall into 2 camps; those that champion the light, and those that embrace the dark. As of last year, I also enjoy books written by Dean Koontz. Especially the Odd Thomas trilogy, which deals with a fairly sarcastic protagonist who can see ghosts. As well, Michael Chrichton writes very nice medical fiction comprised of genuine science with fantastic characters. For those of you who are curious, my favourite book I've ever read is a two way tie:
Animal Farm by George Orwell (A satirical view of humans animalistic nature and tendencies)
Dracula by Bram Stoker (A classic horror story that improves with multiple readings)
I read both of these books at LEAST once or twice a year

In this post, I have discussed art and literature, and it is fitting that this leads to the last topic here: Music. I have been told I have a very eclectic taste. On my playlist, I have everything from:
Green Day to Timbaland, The Irish Rovers to Linkin Park, assorted Les Mis songs to South Park songs.... and the most shocking of them all: Journey to Cascada.
How's THAT for a varied selection, eh?

There you have it folks, a brief look into the bookshelf, playlist and wall hangings of yours truly. Take some time, leave a comment, and then, take some time to appreciate a nice piece of literature, a work of art, or even really listen to a piece of music. There just might be more to it than you first thought

Cheers

4 Comments:

At December 22, 2007 at 3:58 PM , Blogger inna said...

i haven't read animal farm but i loved 1984

 
At December 23, 2007 at 4:44 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm teaching both Animal Farm to my grade 9s and 1984 to my grade 11s. Any time you want a lesson, I'm at your disposal :)

 
At December 23, 2007 at 8:28 PM , Blogger inna said...

yes i think 1984 was grade.. 12.. ? or maybe oac? i don't quite remember when i had mrs ormsby lol

i will someday re-read and maybe pick up some criticism as well. maybe someday soon because i've just finished evgeny zamyatin's 'we' and would like to find more of it between orwell's lines

 
At December 30, 2007 at 8:22 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

It looks like a dead seal to me.

I loved Animal Farm! Have you seen the film? It's not bad either. I haven't read 1984 though. It's on my list though!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home