<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://thedavidmanly.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
The definitive host: C'est l'Halloween

The definitive host

de·fin·i·tive host (duh-fin'eh-tiv) n. 1) An organism where a parasite undergoes the adult and sexual stages of its reproductive cycle 2) Someone you go to for interesting stories and/or facts, and puts on one hell of a dinner party 3) This blog, devoted to science and other geeky subjects

Thursday, October 30, 2008

C'est l'Halloween

Well, Halloween is coming. It's always been a favourite holiday of mine, as the concept and mythology behind it is so intriguing. It started my life-long fascination with that which cannot be explained. Being a trained scientist, I look for answers based on observations. However, the supernatural defies explanation. The mythology surrounding Halloween and demons and angels is utterly fascinating. Just look at the TV show Supernatural, it is just great.

Now, one of my favourite books, is Dracula by Bram Stoker. This book has enraptured me since the very first time I read it. I read it maybe once or twice a year, it is THAT good.

It deals with the archetypes of good vs. evil, and yet the evil is not quite defined. The evil, in Count Dracula, can be looked at in many different ways. Some see him as the personification of evil, others see him as a pure male, or a female/male hybrid, or even, the expression of wants and needs.

And once, in an essay back in fourth year, I compared Dracula to a blood-dwelling virus, like HIV. What can I say? I'm a Biology major, through and thorough.

One of the biggest dilemma's about Halloween, is that of what to be. What do you dress up as? Something fun? Something evil? Or, do you dress up as what you wish to be?

I've dressed up as everything from Superman, to Captain Hook, to an escaped mental patient.

And plus the MOVIES! Horror movies are a morbid hobby of mine. Try to scare me, I dare ya! I haven't been scared in a long time, as I have become desensitized to violence and gore, just something that happens when you have seen as much blood, guts and dissections as I have. I cannot remember the last movie or TV show that I was scared during, other than the Exorcist when I was a kid.

One thing which always gets me though, is that of a SURPRISE ENDING. Give me something unique, something original, something I have NOT seen before.

The best example is that of the movie SAW. The first one, the ending basically dropped my jaw. I had to watch the ending AGAIN... twice. And then, as soon as I could, I went to my brother and told him to WATCH IT.

David - Daniel, watch this NOW!
Daniel - Why? I don't want to.
David - Daniel. Seriously. I was left speechless
Daniel - Really?
David - GO. WATCH. NOW. TELL ME WHEN YOU ARE DONE.
*After the movie is done*
Daniel - *SILENT*
David - And?
Daniel - WOW
David - I KNOW
Daniel - That was great, amazing, awesome.
David - The best ending I have ever seen!

If you have NOT seen it, PLEASE do. It's not overtly bloody or violent, it is a psychological thriller and horror movie. And I implore you, do not seek out spoilers about the ending, it will ruin the experience.

Lastly, I was thinking about Halloween and I came up with this. I hope you enjoy it!

And lo and behold, there was darkness brought upon the world.
As the sacred night reared it's ugly head,
the veil between that which is real and that which is imaginary, was at its weakest.
It is the day where darkest dreams become reality,
fear becomes hope, identities are shrouded in mystery.
That who we are becomes shrouded by masks, revealing that which we wish to be.
What is your dream? What is your nightmare?
Can one be reconciled without the other?
Their existences are intertwined, one cannot exist without the other.
Good. Evil. Dark. Light.
One shall triumph, but the victory is short-lived.
The sun will beat back the rampant darkness, but, like all things,
the sun must set.
The darkness will rise again, only for the circle to repeat itself once more.
Ka (or destiny) is a wheel, it's purpose is to turn.

Thanky-sai

Labels: , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

At November 1, 2008 at 11:48 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Halloween can be a fun and exciting holiday, but it can also be frightening. Last night my husband and I were getting ready to go to a party and heard a group of kids outside of our house. We looked out a window and saw around 8 kids trying to light a bag of dried leaves on fire. We yelled at them, and they ran away laughing; but it could have become a really serious situation, with the dried leaves, grass and trees catching fire.

With all the mystery, secret identities and darkness, the evil side of people's personalities can come out too!!

 
At August 21, 2023 at 1:17 AM , Anonymous sinfully sweet romances said...

Interesting thoughts.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home