<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://thedavidmanly.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
The definitive host: The Ultimate Interview - Holiday Edition

The definitive host

de·fin·i·tive host (duh-fin'eh-tiv) n. 1) An organism where a parasite undergoes the adult and sexual stages of its reproductive cycle 2) Someone you go to for interesting stories and/or facts, and puts on one hell of a dinner party 3) This blog, devoted to science and other geeky subjects

Saturday, December 6, 2008

The Ultimate Interview - Holiday Edition

It was a cold December night, just like any other,
The only ones left walking, were holding another.

There was a light dusting of snow left-over from the previous day,
As the weather was fairly mild in its own particular way.

Walking home in the dark night, David pondered the mystery that is his life,
'Is this all there is?' he thought, 'Why is my life filled with such strife?'

The reasons David thought this were simple, as his school year ended with his freedom restored,
However my friends, David was bored.

David sighed with a breath, as his iPod sang,
When all of the sudden, he heard a very large *BANG*

'What the hell was that?' David thought, and looked for the source of the sound,
On his left, was a roofer, crawling around.

The roofer walked down the ladder, and approached David with a smile,
And he said, "I assure you my friend, I am not hostile."

David was speechless, and for those who know him, this is quite a feat.
As he stared dumbfounded, into the middle of the street.

The man was of the elderly sort, yet full of joy.
He was dressed in grey slacks and a white shirt, for all to enjoy.

The shirt was adorned with red suspenders, which complimented his red and white poof-ball hat.
His smile was large, and encouraged a friendly chat.

His belly was fat and his face full of joy,
As he stroked his beard, he said, "How are you David, my boy?"

As David shook his hand, and said, "How do you know my name?"
The man replied, with a smile, "Sorry David, confusing you was not my aim."

The man then said, without a pause,
"Nice to meet you David, I'm Santa Claus!"

As David examined the man, with his grin and his hat,
'Holy shit,' David thought, 'I'm crazier than I thought.'

"I'm sorry sir, but you must have been misled,
I'm not who you are looking for, I must head to bed."

"Nonsense," he said, with a twinkle in his eye,
"I have some wisdom which I'd like to imply"

"You fear that your life is headed in the wrong direction,
That this entire career change warrants further inspection.
You worry that all your new friends will start to ignore you,
I'm telling you now, this is not true.
The friends you make now, in this very school,
Will remain yours for a long time, so don't be a fool.
This part of your life serves its own special role,
and eventually you will reach your long-sought goal.
And what I say next, pass onto those you know:
Don't be afraid of new experiences, they teach you to grow.
The choices you make, will affect you in ways unforeseen,
If life is a play, this is all one little scene!
Before I bid you adieu, one more thing I must impart,
Be happy and healthy, and always follow your heart."

And with a flash of light, the man disappeared,
'Wow,' David thought, 'Wasn't that a bit weird?'

With the man's words still echoing in his mind,
meanings of the words, he did struggle to find.

David took a deep breath, in which to say it out loud,
"My dreams I shall follow," and with that, he vowed.

Such ends this story, which is fiction, I know,
But don't be afraid of letting your life ebb and flow.

A lifetime of experiences begin, and more,
with that one little step, out the door.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At December 7, 2008 at 5:06 PM , Blogger Laura said...

I knew I'm not the only one who confuses Santa and God! What with the omniscience and the good/bad list and, apparently in your case, visions.

I'm leaving wine and wafers out this year.

 
At December 8, 2008 at 9:03 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey! You tell Santa not to leave me anymore coal this year! And where is my tricycle...I've been waiting for over 20 years!

great job on the poem.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home