<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://thedavidmanly.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
The definitive host: DOH ... RAY .... EGON!

The definitive host

de·fin·i·tive host (duh-fin'eh-tiv) n. 1) An organism where a parasite undergoes the adult and sexual stages of its reproductive cycle 2) Someone you go to for interesting stories and/or facts, and puts on one hell of a dinner party 3) This blog, devoted to science and other geeky subjects

Tuesday, June 16, 2009

DOH ... RAY .... EGON!

So, here's the thing. I was going to blog about everything that is wrong with my job, the people I work with, how BAD I am at ironing (I have two burns on the same arm to prove it) and the like.

That was, until, I remembered what month it is: June, 2009.

In this month, 25 years ago, something extraordinary happened. No, it's not my birthday (that's in July).

Do you want a hint?

June 8, 1984.



That's right ... GHOSTBUSTERS was released.

While I did not see it when it was out in the theatres, when I did ... it was one fo the few movies that defined by childhood. It joined the ranks of Star Wars, Jurassic Park, the Land Before Time (as a kid, who DIDN'T love that movie?) and, of course, the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

The movie, in case you had a deprived childhood, is about a group of paranormal scientists who decide to hunt and capture ghosts for a living, when the dead begin to rise in New York City.

I could talk about how good the movie is, my favourite characters, that my Mom made my brother and I homemade Ghosbusters outfits for Halloween when I was a young kid ... but I won't.

I will say one thing. When someone is drunk with their also drunk buddies and peeing at the side of the road ... I will bet you, someone will say, "Don't cross the stream!"

It is impossible to pick an all-time favourite quote, as there are so many. But, here are some of the best ... but, in all honesty, just go watch it. It is a classic.

Dana Barrett: Are you the Keymaster?

Dr. Egon Spengler: There's something very important I forgot to tell you.
Dr. Peter Venkman: What?
Dr. Egon Spengler: Don't cross the streams.
Dr. Peter Venkman: Why?
Dr. Egon Spengler: It would be bad.
Dr. Peter Venkman: I'm fuzzy on the whole good/bad thing. What do you mean, "bad"?
Dr. Egon Spengler: Try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light.
Dr Ray Stantz: Total protonic reversal.
Dr. Peter Venkman: Right. That's bad. Okay. All right. Important safety tip. Thanks, Egon.

Dr. Peter Venkman: Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!

Winston Zeddemore: Ray. If someone asks if you are a god, you say, 'YES!'

And, I leave you with this. Who can forget ... the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man?

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

At June 16, 2009 at 7:25 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Secret: I have a small crush on Egon (shh...don't tell any one!)
- Anonymous ;)

 
At June 17, 2009 at 10:29 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who Doesn't?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home