<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://thedavidmanly.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
The definitive host: David vs. Year Two

The definitive host

de·fin·i·tive host (duh-fin'eh-tiv) n. 1) An organism where a parasite undergoes the adult and sexual stages of its reproductive cycle 2) Someone you go to for interesting stories and/or facts, and puts on one hell of a dinner party 3) This blog, devoted to science and other geeky subjects

Thursday, September 10, 2009

David vs. Year Two

Well, year two of my Master's program officially began a few days ago. It's been an interesting ride so far, filled with plot twists and exciting revelations. Who knows what is in store for me this year?

Now, for some updates.

Those of you who I speak to/communicate with regularly, know that I am missing a "second language requirement" for my degree. Because I go to school in Ottawa, where a significant portion of the population is bilingual, the powers that be decided to make it a requirement to graduate. Seeing as I was a strictly Biology student, there was no need for me to take any foreign languages.

So, I decided to do something about it this year. While the school would prefer the language proficiency to be French, it can really be any language used around the world. Therefore, I decided to take a first-year sign language course. I thought it would be interesting, and an excellent skill to possess.

I also signed up to take the French proficiency test, which the school holds twice a year. It was a pass/fail deal. Worse case scenario, if I failed that, I would take the sign language course and get the requirement done that way.

The French test was on Tuesday, and I got the results yesterday.

By some sort of inexplicable event ... I passed it! Cool, eh? So, that requirement for my degree is all done! And, I lose a course I was going to take this semester, so more time to do other sorts of school work.

Other than that, nothing much else has happened here. Yet.

Tomorrow is when the real work begins.

But, as a J-school friend said to me yesterday, "Just eight more months. There is a light at the end of the tunnel. Now, we just need to survive."

Words to live by, eh?

Ohhh, and I've been asked by a few of my fellow students about how soon until Chapter 5 of The Black will be released. I must say, I'm genuinely taken aback when people say they like my story. It does, and will always, put a big smile on my face when people talk about it. Hey, even negative stuff makes me happy, as you are reading it and really thinking about it. Criticism is welcome!

And don't worry, Chapter 5 is coming, and it's tentatively entitled, "The Path." hope to finish it and put it up this weekend.

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

At September 10, 2009 at 9:28 PM , Anonymous Misty Fowler said...

That's almost too bad! Sign language is really fun to learn! I've been trying to find courses locally, since I've forgotten what I used to know.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home